Skip to main content
/

Site Navigation

Your Account

Choose Language

Discussion Topic

Remember the movie The Graduate? The line 'Plastics is the future'

Well, it still is! Carbon-Capturing Sunglasses Offer a View of Fashion's Future

Now if the high tech industries where to leverage this plastic our planet would be so much better off!

Reply to discussion Subscribe to discussion

Is this a worthwhile discussion?

Score 2
Add a comment

4 Replies

Maybe after it’s out long enough and we see how it lasts the test of time, it may be! It’s a surprisingly fine line between lasting long enough and lasting too long.

Was this reply helpful?

Score 2

Comments:

@amber - The key is capturing the carbon and also biodegradabile!

by

That's a great point. It's so easy to be cynical. It is a really cool advancement!

by

Add a comment

My girl friend bought a new electric Volvo, she says the interior is all made from recycled plastics.

Was this reply helpful?

Score 2
Add a comment
Most Helpful Answer

Heh. I've avoided the plastic specials for computers when I can avoid it. Plastic machines have always felt cheap so the less plastic the better.

Like, if a machine is more plastic then metal it feels like cheap junk to me. I'd rather pay more for metal.

Was this reply helpful?

Score 3

Comments:

@nick - Don't disagree! But there is still a lot of plastic internally.

by

@nick not a lot of plastic on my desktop :-) since I do not use laptops.

by

@danj Yeah true but that can be reused unlike a plastic chassis. Still if I can increase the metal to plastic ratio where it's used the most that's where you do it.

by

@oldturkey03 I have a desktop too so I run both

by

Add a comment

What a neat product. It's a (baby)step in the right direction. Just a few concerns that I have with "hype " like that are things like " turned into sunglasses in an Italian factory on September 25 before getting shipped back stateside in December", how did it get there and back and how did that remain carbon neutral? Same with "while the leather material is 51 percent PHB, the rest being natural and synthetic rubber" that leaves 49% that is "natural and synthetic" and most certainly carries a pretty good carbon footprint. As for the "synthetic rubber" it is long proven that the synthetic rubber manufacturing process is highly polluting thus contributing to the global warming. Should have stuck with natural rubber which is actual better (not great but better than synthetic) for our environment.

We need to find ways to stop our usage of plastic products and stop tossing it in the landfill. We must recognize that it is our responsibility, to not purchase products that are a danger to our climate. Companies will continue to produce whatever they want/can for as long as we are making a contribution to their bottom line.

Was this reply helpful?

Score 1

Comments:

Unpopular opinion: it's not plastic straws and other forms of single use plastic. We need to focus on other areas that are worse. We can deal with the plastic straws later.

by

@nick - Straws, beer rings & tubs all cause problems for animals getting caught in them or swallowing!

The bottom line here is 'We' are killing the planet every way possible!

Poisoning the Air, land or sea. Killing animals and plants either their environment or create hazards.

So soon it will be a dead planet with no life on it! I'm lucky! I won't be here when it happens but it saddens me that we trashed it!

by

@danj But you see my point about what should come first? Yes it *all* matters, but no you won't stop be from buying plastic straws in bulk so when someone gives me a paper one that doesn't last I'm dead end.

by

Add a comment

Join the discussion

Dan will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 0

Past 30 Days: 0

All Time: 0