Would anyone like to see a guide on setting up a Linux laptop?
This is an interest check post. I am planning on fully retiring my E7440 from main production as soon as I can get the programs I use matched between the replacement machine due due to a multitude of issues:
- The rubber trim is beginning to fail - this is cosmetic, but I’ve already had to Super Glue it twice - no, this isn’t E7X40 specific either.
- 64% health OEM battery - clones barely work right on the E series Dells, and I already had a bad experience with copies once. Not an issue on the D Series, but those are not in production due to HW age - my D630 included.
- Cost of upgrading the SSD is $55 on a machine worth $120-150 in Covid Zoom school money; I expect it to sink back to $100-125-30 once the vaccines become common, schools reopen and masks go away. My 256GB SSD (240GB raw capacity) is almost full :(. It’s beat up as-is, so I’d probably not even see the money some of these sellers are with the same CPU even now!
- TPM 1.2 - no Win11 here. CPU kills me too.
- HSW CPU - it’s over past 10 due to the security requirements Microsoft set for 11 and TPM 1.2 limit I can’t fix due to a lack of upgradeable FW like the HP laptops. No, Dell didn’t offer 2.0 firmware for the Lat 7480 either AFAIK - had to order with 7th gen, or if you got a 6th gen it’s 1.2 spec.
As much as I tried to push it (in addition to the SSD upgrade cost, plus a new battery), I don’t think it’ll make it to the end goal of 2025 unless I sink a ton of money into a aged platform and plan on finding a 3rd party battery that isn’t junk, or a genuinely new discount OEM Dell pack which didn’t have a cycle and wear reset. Yes, the E7440 is tired especially considering 6/7th gen is becoming accessible (with the caveat you need to check the TPM 1.2/2.0 status, in case we can risk it on anything pre 8th gen with TPM 2.0), and 8th gen being viable for anyone with the right budget along with 9th, 10th and 11th and I AM AWARE I can do better, but I originally gave up on the concept as I didn’t have a machine I can set aside for the project - I now do even though it’s older.
Is this a worthwhile discussion?